The virtual seminar will be moderated by Ben Faber, UC Cooperative Extension Soils/Water/Subtropical Crops Advisor and Claire Balint, Cal Poly Center for Sustainability Interim Director. The seminar topics and speakers are as follows:
- Pruning strategies for optimum yield and quality — Gabriel Filipe, Senior Director of California Sourcing and Farming, Mission Produce
- Trialing new rootstock varieties —Lauren Garner, Professor of Horticulture, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Scouting for pests and updates on biological pest control —David Headrick, Professor of Entomology, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Building berms for hillside orchards —Johnny Rosecrans, Senior Farm Technician, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Cover crops and soil health — Charlotte Decock, Assistant Professor of Soil Science, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
The seminar is offered as part of the California Avocado Growers Seminar Series and California Department of Food and Agriculture Healthy Soils Program in partnership with the California Avocado Society, the California Avocado Commission and the UC Cooperative Extension.