San Diego County Virtual Climate Action and Agriculture Symposium
The University of California Cooperative Extension is hosting a virtual Climate Action and Agriculture Symposium from May 24 – 28. The virtual event will take place from 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Thursday, and from 9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. on Friday.
The event will share information concerning the policies, research, program, strategies and resources needed to support sustainable agriculture and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in San Diego County. The symposium is designed to promote the sharing of information and discussions between producers, policy makers, educators, researchers, consultants, government agencies and agricultural service providers.
The following topics will be addressed in a variety of presentations by the speakers noted below. A complete agenda detailing the presentations is available online.
- OPENING REMARKS, Dr. Oli Bachie (UCCE) & Hannah Gbeh (Farm Bureau)
- CLIMATE TRENDS & EXTREME WEATHER, Eric Snodgrass (Nutrien Ag Solutions), Ben Faber (UCCE), Jim Courter (Valley Center Fire Safe Coucil)
- IRRIGATION MANAGEMENT, Dr. Gerardo Spinelli (UCCE), Dr. Ali Montazar (UCCE), TBA (Generac Power Systems)
- WATER QUALITY & NITROGEN MANAGEMENT, Jason DuMond (San Diego Water Board), Dr. Bruno J.L. Pitton (UC Davis), Dr. Joji Muramoto (UC ANR), Sonia Rios (UCCE)
- PEST MANAGEMENT, Dr. Chris McDonald (UCCE), Dr. Matt Daugherty (UC Riverside), Dr. Niamh Quinn (UCCE)
- RECYCLED ORGANICS AND COMPOST/ PROGRAM AND PROJECT UPDATES, Dr. Craig Kolodge (San Pasqual Valley Soils), Dr. Esther Mosase (UCCE), Ramiro Lobo (UCCE) and more
Registration for the online symposium is now open. Registrants will receive the Zoom link and instructions upon completing the registration process.