Registration for California Avocado Society Annual Meeting Is Now Open
The 103rd California Avocado Society (CAS) Annual Meeting will be held from October 4 – 5 in Temecula, CA. The meeting will take place at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Temecula Valley Wine Country located at 29345 Rancho California Road in Temecula, CA.
On Thursday, attendees can participate in two field tours.
- Krnich Ranch — View high-density plantings of Reed avocados and the UC rootstock trials (begins at 9:30 a.m.)
- ACW Farms — View state-of-the-art use of solar power, mechanized irrigation, mulch production and drone demonstrations (begins at 1:30 p.m.)
The President’s Reception Barbecue will be held on that evening, following the field tours, at 4:15 p.m.
The Annual Meeting will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Friday with a continental breakfast and the opportunity to tour displays from agribusiness suppliers. The following presentations will take place:
- Keynote address — Jorge Enrique Restrepo, Executive Director of Corpohass, Medellín, Colombia, will discuss the origins and development of the Colombian avocado industry and its future
- Dr. Tim Spann, Research Program Director for the California Avocado Commission will provide an overview of the 2018 Avocado Brainstorming Conference held in South Africa
- Dr. Mark Hoddle, Biological Control Specialist and Principal Investigator, UC Riverside, will address current and future avocado pests and include an interactive (and entertaining) session
The Oliver Atkins Award and the Award of Honor will be presented to growers and/or researchers who have been of outstanding service to the avocado industry.