Produce Safety Training Sessions Available
PLEASE NOTE: the January 31 (Oxnard) and February 7 (Temecula) meetings are now sold out! A new meeting has been set up for April 17, 2018 from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the Farm Bureau Office located at 420 South Broadway, Escondido, CA.
The Safe Food Alliance and the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) are offering two Produce Safety Training sessions. The first will be held January 31 from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the Courtyard Oxnard located at 600 East Esplanade Drive, Oxnard, CA, 93036. The second will be held February 7 from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at the Embassy Suites located at 29345 Rancho California Road, Temecula, CA, 92591.
The training session is designed for produce growers, buyers and others interested in learning about produce safety, the Food Safety Modernization Act Produce Safety Rule, Good Agricultural Practices and co-management of natural resources and food safety. This course is recognized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is one way to satisfy the produce safety rule requiring that for each farm at least one supervisor or responsible party must successfully complete FDA-approved food safety training.
The training session will include the following topics:
- Introduction to produce safety
- Worker health, hygiene and training
- Soil amendments
- Wildlife, domesticated animals and land use
- Agricultural water
- Postharvest handling and sanitation
- How to develop a farm food safety plan
Participants will be eligible to receive a certificate from the Association of Food and Drug Officials verifying completion of the course. In addition, attendees will receive:
- A decision tree and other materials to help determine if a regulation applies to your farm
- Templates for creating records
- A calculation tool to help growers determine if they receive a “qualified exemption”
- A list of allowable water treatment compounds
- Tools to assist in conducting water analysis calculations
The $35 registration fee includes course materials, lunch and the certificate. Interested growers can obtain complete information and register online by clicking on this Oxnard location link or this Temecula location link.