Commission’s Living Well Brand Advocates Provide Consumers’ with Trusted Health and Wellness Information
According to the International Food Information Council Foundation’s 2020 COVID-19: May 2020 Second Look at COVID-19s Impact on Food Purchasing, Eating Behaviors and Perceptions of Food Safety, dietitians, healthcare workers and government agencies are the most trusted sources of information about food. And more than half of Americans ages 46 – 64 (57%) trust a registered dietitian as an information source concerning what foods to eat and avoid. Because health and wellness continue to be at the forefront of consumers’ minds, the Commission’s Living Well Brand Advocate program — comprised of seven trusted registered dietitian nutritionists and health and wellness influencers — provides consumers with California avocado recipes suited to a variety of dietary lifestyles, as well as important nutrition information about the fruit.
Each of the advocates focused on a specific theme related to a healthy lifestyle.
- Living Healthy and Staying Young (Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RDN, CDN)
- Shaw’s Simple Swaps (Liz Shaw, MS, RDN, CLT, CPT)
- Meals for Men (Manuel Villacorta, MS, RDN)
- Plant-curious (Sophie Uliano, Board-certified Holistic Nutritionist)
- Mediterranean Diet (Wendy Jo Peterson, MS, RDN, Culinary Dietitian)
- Grilling with California Avocados (Patty Mastracco, Food Stylist, Recipe Developer)
- Cooking for One (Meme Inge, MS, RDN)
- The Commission’s advocates developed new California avocado recipes, related to their specific theme, and promoted the recipes on their social media platforms. The Commission also created health and wellness assets that were shared with retailers and used in Commission programs.
Some of the advocates served as guest bloggers on The Scoop or made television appearances at local stations.
Wendy Jo Peterson helped kick off the California avocado season with a blog post for The Scoop that focused on a Mediterranean Lifestyle with California Avocados.
Bonnie Taub-Dix wrote about aging healthfully and showcased her California avocado smoothie in her blog post, Say ‘Spa-vacado’ with Creamy California Avocado Spa Smoothie.
Addressing men’s health, Manuel Villacorta authored Get Cooking with Heart-Healthy California Avocados for The Scoop and shared his California Avocado Steak Salad and Sandwich recipes.
Patty Mastracco appeared on Fresno’s KPMH26 FOX TV and Sacramento’s KTXL FOX40 with segments demonstrating how to grill California avocados and prepare her family-friendly, suited-for-summer Grilled California Avocado, Sweet Potato and Arugula Salad.
Thus far, the Living Well program has generated more than 500,000 impressions in addition to impressions garnered from guest blog posts on The Scoop.