Best Practices for Applying ProGibb LV Plus®
Spring is the ideal time to apply ProGibb LV Plus,® a low volatile organic compound formulation designed to increase avocado fruit size and yield. Following are best practice for applying the plant growth regulator to California avocado groves.
- Apply the foliar spray in spring during the cauliflower stage of inflorescence development, when 50 percent of the inflorescences on 50 percent of the trees are at this stage
- If you cannot time your application as noted above, it is better to make a slightly late application
- Do not apply when the majority of trees are in full bloom as the applications will not be effective
- The maximum allowable dose is 25 g active ingredient/acre for all modes of application; doses above or below this are not effective
- If applied like a pesticide spray, focus on spraying the developing inflorescences and avoid run-off
- For ground applications, use a spray volume of 100 gallons of water/acre and avoid run-off
- For aerial applications, use 75 gallons of water/acre
- Ground application: 12.5 fluid ounces ProGibb LV Plus® in 100 gallons of water/acre
- Aerial application: 12.5 fluid ounces ProGibb LV Plus® in 75 gallons of water/acre
pH of Spray Solution
- The ideal final pH of the spray solution should be between 5.5 – 6.0, thus the pH of water should be adjusted accordingly
- Widespread Max® or Silwett L-77® at a final concentration of 0.05 percent is ideal as a wetting agent; similar organosilicone type surfactants can be used as well
For additional information concerning the application of ProGibb LV Plus,® read this article from the Spring 2019 issue of From the Grove.